Monday, January 24, 2011

Ranting, Vagina Monologues, and Distractions

I'm taking a break from my studying, been at it on and off all day and I can't seem to stay focused, which is odd seeing as it's an awesome book I'm reading for my Celtic Civilization class. "After the Ice" by Steven Mithen; if you want to read a very engaging historical/archaeological book that deals with human history from 20,000-5,000 b.c.e. it's a definite must read. I just can't seem to concentrate on much of anything right now - I'll probably just finish it later on tonight.

I'm going to be going out on a limb here pretty soon, I'm already halfway up the hypothetical tree trunk... the girl I sit next to in one of my classes convinced me to audition for a part in the "Vagina Monologues," and after much consideration and hemming and hawing, I decided that it was worth a shot. Mind you, I've never done anything like this before, so it was a little bit intimidating to go up onstage and have people judging your performance. But, apparently I did quite well... I got a part! I'm reading part of a 3 person monologue, and in all honesty it's pretty depressing, but I'm still looking forward to being able to have a stage performance under my belt - just so I would have done it. :) So yeah, rehearsals start this Sunday evening and then we perform at the end of February... so we'll see how this goes. Wish me luck, or a "break a leg" (but not literally please), or whichever is preferred.

Pretty soon I'm going to have to get everything together to apply for grad schools... and I have no freakin' clue as to where I'm going to apply, and also the idea of the GRE is more than a little daunting to say the least. I was talking with one of my friends earlier today, and she's on the same time schedule as me as far as school goes, and she is going to have to take the GRE over the summer (she said by August for her), so honestly, it's most likely going to be exactly the same thing for me... and I'm not liking the idea at all. I also need to decide which grad schools I'm going to apply for - that will have to be done this upcoming fall if I want to get in for next year. I think I'm going to talk with my advisor sometime within the next couple weeks or so to get recommendations for history grad schools... and we shall see...

No comments: