Friday, January 23, 2009

Bettas

I have three colorful additions to my bedroom! Three betta fish! I haven't quite decided what I'm going to name them yet... they'll let me know given time. I feel like they must have Asian names, preferably warrior-esque names... after all - they are fighting fish.

So, given my insomniatic behavior over the past couple nights, I decided to capture in pixels their absolute beauty. I had varying levels of success... the products of my efforts can be seen below.


This little guy has one of the feistiest personalities I've ever seen in a fish. I haven't thought of a name for him yet - with his attitude, I'm sure he'll eventually scream it at me. (Just kidding... but seriously... to give you an example of his temperment... he was sitting there in his bowl perfectly content, his tail fanned out beautifully. When I brought the camera out, he proceeded to make sure he never stayed in one place long enough to get a good picture. This went on for what seemed like an hour... the little brat.) :-P





This guy is a ham. The camera came out and he posed for it.


This little guy, or rather, the biggest of the three, is a little odd. He alternates from sitting so still one wonders if he's dead, to swimming around like a banshee. He's cute though.

The two reddish ones hate each other with a passion. They glare at each other through their bowls, and so I am thinking of naming them after two Japanese rival daimios (barons). I'm thinking of calling the red/blue one Takeda, and the reddish/white one Uesugi. Rather odd, I know... but that's what popped into my head. Historically, Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin spent their entire lives competing against each other. They had large daimios but all they wanted to do was beat the other... so... seeing as the temperment of these fish are as such, I believe that they will be called Takeda & Uesugi. Or I may call them Takeda & Shingen - that would actually be fairly cute. But alas... I really need to get some sleep. The Hoggetowne Faire starts tomorrow and it's going to be fun, but a lot of work. :)
Goodnight.

No comments: